Do You Know Your Rights?

Don't forget to like and share! 🙂


Yoshiya Kawamura is a diligent student who is always in the Snow College Library studying. Photo by Casey Yardley

Yoshiya Kawamura is a diligent student who is always in the Snow College Library studying. Photo by Casey Yardley

The constitution of the Student Association is being revised and the final version will be voted on next semester.

All tuition paying students at Snow College are members of the Student Association which is governed by elected Student Body Advocates (SBA’s). The purpose of the constitution is to outline the function of the SBA’s and their relationships with the Student Association and the governing bodies of the college.

The Student Body President, Zachary Parker, sits as a voting member on both the College Council and the Board of Trustees. He encourages all students to talk to him or another SBA about any ideas or concerns they have.

The best way to get in contact with President Parker or another SBA is to go to the Student Life office on the second floor of the GSC.

Craig Mathie, Vice-President of Student Success at Snow College, stated that “Students have a greater opportunity at Snow College for their voice to be heard than at most other colleges”.

As an example of student engagement VP Mathie mentioned that about five years ago a group of students proposed a change to the add/drop policy to make it easier to drop a class one had never been to. The students approached the SBA’s who brought the matter before the appropriate governing body and the change was made.

Pres. Parker said he would like to see more students become engaged and let their voice be heard.

Students also have rights and avenues of redress. Everything is spelled out in the Catalog. These rights are dependent on certain processes. For examples, when accused of academic dishonesty, according to the catalog, the student will be “apprized of the accusation and given opportunity to dispute it.”

Or if a student would like to apply for a policy exemption they can fill out a form found in the Vice President of Academic Affairs office and submit it with supporting documentation.

Grades may be appealed by talking to the professor. If that doesn’t result in the satisfaction of both  parties then the dean of the division must be involved. From there an appeal can be made to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

A student may also apply for an incomplete grade if illness or injury prevented the completion of necessary work for the class. A form is available at the registration window and the terms must be negotiated with the instructor.

Exams may be take early for a fee of 30$. Arrangement with the Vice President of Academic Affairs is required.

Students are also excused from exams for “school approved functions”, and if a student is called in for jury duty or as a witness the catalog states that the student “will be able to make up any missed schoolwork.”

Along with the rights mentioned above all constitutional rights will be honored on campus and discrimination will not be tolerated.

Vice President Mathie explained that along with rights come responsibilities. The school has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy and students are expected to obey all local, state, and federal laws.

Be first to comment

Solve : *
12 ⁄ 6 =